[U-Boot] [RFC] PPC: post_word_{load/store} - eliminate redundant code

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 22 11:03:43 CEST 2010

Dear Michael Zaidman,

In message <i2o660c0f821004212341w74ed641aw94cd8738f1b9c93b at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Looking at the code I wonder why we need post_word_store() and
> > post_word_load() functions at all. All implementations I have found
> > translate into a single ioread32() resp. iowrite32() call.
> >
> Probably, due to big and little endians that the PPC code should
> support. On other hand, AFAIK, no one is really using a little endian
> notation on PPC platforms in u-boot. I am not sure however, is this a
> good enough reason to omit such support? Or am I missing something?

We don;t indterface to any specific device register here, so the
actual byte order used when writing and reading the data does not
matter at all (as long as writer and reader agree). I see no reason
why we should not simply use the respective accessor macro for this
architecture.

> Thanks Wolfgang, it looks like I can cope with this task, of course if
> no one has any objections.

Thanks in advance.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
God grant me the senility to accept the things I cannot  change,  The
frustration  to  try to change things I cannot affect, and the wisdom
to tell the difference.