[U-Boot] ATMEL Custodians == /dev/null ??

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 5 12:13:20 CEST 2010

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

Am 05.08.2010 11:14, schrieb Reinhard Meyer:
> Wolfgang Denk schrieb:
>> Dear Mike Frysinger,

[snip]

>> Reinhard, do you volunteer?  For AVR32?  Or also for AT91?

[snip]

> Then I consider AVR32 a dead architecture for LinuX based systems, since
> all LinuX-able Variants (AP700x) are "not recommended for new design".

Yes, AVR32 seems to be a dead architecture but I do think mainline
U-Boot support for it has its right to exist.

We have two devices using the AP7000. We do think about a major U-Boot
update for at least one of these devices. With latest patches from
Haavard the avr32 architecture is usable again and we may switch from
2008.10 to 2010.06.

On the other hand there are a lot of evaluation kits still available. I
think they are used at least by hobbyists.
The main statement is to not loose off avr32 support in near future no
matter what way atmel decides for his products. But therefore it is
necessary to get avr32 working in next release. I know 2010.09 is closed
but it would be great to get the "simple paging" patch into 2010.09.
Nevertheless 2010.12 should be doable for the paging stuff and maybe
atmel_usart too.

[snip]

> And as a custodian for AT91 I would mostly collect my own patches,
> <sarcasm> review them, apply them after 2 weeks of nobody commenting on them
> </sarcasm> and once in a while ask Wolfgang to pull them to mainstream?

I have an at91rm9200 based eval kit at home and plan to do some effort
to get this board mainline (but since january I work on arm-linux
toolchain for my mac ...). Therefore I can do testing for some at91
drivers in near future.

We plan to use some at91sam based cpu's for further products. Therefore
I could do testing and/or reviews at work too (maybe end of this year).

> Of course, hopefully more people would volunteer to work on that architecture
> there are still lots of places where coding style can be improved, not to
> mention the vast number of AT91 drivers using #define registers access instead
> of structures. Also when I tried to cleanup the multi-wrapped defines for
> controller adresses I noticed that this issue spans the whole AT91 files.

If we do switch to 2010.06 I plan to do some work on atmel_usart which I
think is a shared driver between avr32 and at91.

regards

Andreas Bießmann