[U-Boot] Getting started with uboot

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Thu Aug 5 18:31:42 CEST 2010

Elie De Brauwer schrieb:
> On 08/05/10 16:13, Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Thanks again for the help, it works now.
>>
>> Next question:
>>
>> 'make uImage' in the linux kernel tree builds a linux kernel image
>> that u-boot can use.  How can I change the compression that is used?

IIUC, mkimage only adds a header containing the information passed on
the command line to the file, or prints the header contained in the file.
But it doesn't compress the file, for example.

I found a few pages on the internet that described how to make uboot images,
for example this one:

http://www.beattie-home.net/beattie/DSM-G600/U-Boot-README.html

Quoting from this page:

* build a standard "vmlinux" kernel image (in ELF binary format):
* convert the kernel into a raw binary image:
        ${CROSS_COMPILE}-objcopy -O binary \
                                 -R .note -R .comment \
                                 -S vmlinux linux.bin
* compress the binary image:
        gzip -9 linux.bin
* package compressed binary image for U-Boot:
        mkimage -A ppc -O linux -T kernel -C gzip \
                -a 0 -e 0 -n "Linux Kernel Image" \
                -d linux.bin.gz uImage

But that doesn't work for me.
Running 'arm-linux-objcopy -O binary ...' on the vmlinux file creates
a HUGE file linux.bin (~3GB), so I suspect something is wrong.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Thomas