[U-Boot] ATMEL Custodians == /dev/null ??

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 9 13:51:42 CEST 2010

Dear Haavard Skinnemoen,

In message <20100809181318.5ec2ab8c at hskinnemoen-d830> you wrote:

> > First, I have poked them a number of times, both on and off list.
>
> I haven't received any such pokes from you in a long time.

I'm not talking about you here. You have clearly indicated that you
resign as custodian, which I have accepted.  So why should I poke you?

> I used to be subscribed to a whole bunch of lists, but after hitting
> around 70,000 unread e-mail, I decided to unsubscribe from most of
> them, including u-boot and LKML.
>
> Of course, this is also the main reason why I wanted to resign as a
> custodian; I felt I hadn't been able to do a proper job for some time.
> But this makes it especially odd that I wasn't Cc'd on the discussion
> about custodianship.

A custodian who is not subscried on the mailing list?  How is this
supposed to work?  I have to admit that I never expected somebody
would come up with such a concept.

> > Third, there have been patches posted that clearly fall in their
> > domain, and there is zero response: no comment, no activity in the
> > custodian directory, no pull request, nothing.
>
> If I wasn't Cc'd, that would explain it. Of course, it's always best if

It has never been a requirement to Cc: the custodian. It is up to the
custodian to pick up the work that falls into hiw bailiwick,
including for example global changes that happen to affect his
architecture / subsystem. Of course this requires that you are
subscribed. And that you actually *read* the list, at leats to the
extend that you recognize certain buzzwords in the Subject: lines,
like the name of the architure you feel responsible for.

> maintainers follow all relevant mailing lists, but sometimes it's just
> not an option, not if you're working on several other projects besides
> u-boot.

Your idea of working as a maintainer is very much different from mine,
and from the actual requirements for the job.

> Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Please forgive me for following the
> link on your mailserver ;-)

mailman has certain restrictions and limitations, but I'm not an
expert in that field. If you know better solutions, then suggestions
are welcome.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To be a winner, all you need to give is all you have.