[U-Boot] [RFC 1/3] FDT: Add fixup support of multiple banks of memory

Dan Malek ppc6dev at digitaldans.com
Tue Aug 10 22:17:31 CEST 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

> .....  At the
> moment, I think firmware should be restricted to only touching the
> /chosen node, the /memory node,

I don't even want it updating these, except maybe for the processor
clock speeds.

I'm trying to use device trees as a mechanism for providing resource
allocation information in a partitioned, multi-core system.  In this
case, I don't want the boot firmware making updates to the device
tree.

I understand in many cases it's quite convenient to have the boot
firmware update the device tree prior to invoking the OS, but this
is one time when it's not appreciated.  I'm currently experimenting
with two models, one using environment variables and another
using some kind of device tree tagging (i.e. don't update value if
it's not equal to some unique key).  Neither method has proven
to be better in all cases.

Thanks.

	-- Dan