[U-Boot] [RFD] store env size in env area (+ cookie + len)

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Thu Aug 12 10:17:59 CEST 2010

Dear Matthias Weißer,
>> Wrt the format: I understood from the mail from Reinhard that the way
>> the env is stored is going to change anyway. I saw the patches of
>> Wolfgang pass by, but didn't have time to study them yet.
What I meant, is, that with those patches and the environment in RAM
not being a 1:1 copy of what is stored "on disk" anymore, its easy to
write it in any format you desire onto "disk".

> I also didn't go that deep into Wolfgangs patches but from what I
> understand the "on disk format" will not change. Will it?
No its not changed. Only the format in RAM is changed to a hashed list.
Therefore it would not matter how it is stored on external media since
a "read" and "write" function is needed anyway.

You only need to change/rewrite those functions to store the environment
in any fashion you like...

Reinhard