[U-Boot] [RFD] store env size in env area (+ cookie + len)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 12 12:15:43 CEST 2010

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4C63B8E6.8030805 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> Hmm, I think all IBM(R) PC(R) USERS(R) have spelled that alot.
> Where this lead to, everyone knows...
> Though its nice that some Win95 Programs still run under Vista ;)
>
> And who says the "different" storage could not be an
> configuration option?

I really fail to see any real advantages either. The existing format
has the benefit of being simple and efficient for the purposes it has
been designed for.

If you want different output formats, you can add more data formats to
the "export" and "import" options of the new environment handling
code, but you also would have to add bootstrap code to read this format
from early environment (i. e. without data  or bss segments, and with
minimal stack size).

My feeling is that the result would be complicated and inefficient.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What is mind?  No matter.  What is matter?  Never mind.
                                      -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875