[U-Boot] mirror u-boot on github

Ben Gardiner bengardiner at nanometrics.ca
Thu Aug 12 21:45:18 CEST 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

Could a mirror of u-boot tree (and maybe u-boot-testing) be put up at
github? I asked them directly to do this some time ago [1] and then
got cold feet.

I've been putting this off for some time because I wasn't sure if
there would be any interest or even if it was a worthy idea. My recent
experience with the arm-reloc patches from Heiko [2] made me think
that it could be useful.

The mirror on github would not be a replacement for the custodian
trees[3] but it can be a useful starting point for staging long
patches. Forks of github repos are easy to create and can be public
right away meaning a long patch series can be easy for the custodians
to pull and easy for testers to pull.

As an alternative anyone could, of course, create a repo on github and
push a copy of u-boot from their local repo to github but having a
common starting point on github means that multiple forks wouldn't
waste storage space; it also makes finding the forks straightforward.

Consider the linux-2.6 mirror at github [4]. One of the forks [5] was
used recently by Alexander Gordeev to propose patches for inclusion to
the kernel [6]. I imagine that Heiko's patches could have been put in
a github fork of u-boot-testing and made available by a URL without
any intervention from you.

Best Regards,
Ben Gardiner

[1] http://support.github.com/discussions/email/7257-mirror-request-u-boot?anon_token=de1fa2b84d591dcfe2226cba254bc92c46b28931