[U-Boot] mirror u-boot on github

Ben Gardiner bengardiner at nanometrics.ca
Fri Aug 13 15:49:12 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> [...] certainly not going to do it. Their ToS are not acceptable to me.
>
> For example: "E2. Prices of all Services, including but not limited
> to monthly subscription plan fees to the Service, are subject to
> change upon 30 days notice from us. Such notice may be provided at
> any time by posting the changes to the GitHub Site (github.com) or
> the Service itself." I understand that github may run your project
> for free until you put enough effort in it that losing it would be
> painful, and then they could decide that the service is no loger
> free, but they charge you $$$ for it. All they have to do is "posting
> the changes to the GitHub Site (github.com) or the Service itself."
> That means chances are good that you don't even notice such change in
> time. They have your e-mail addresses - why don't they actively
> notify about such changes?
>
> G11 might be another reason not to use github. Better not use them for
> a project which receives any better interest than average.

I must admit that I didn't really consider the ramifications of the
terms of service at github -- you make a couple good points there.

> In message <AANLkTinWDRkfOw1wLZiw2VC8Mu7cqYmdMW1QqELn6TyN at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> The mirror on github would not be a replacement for the custodian
>> trees[3] but it can be a useful starting point for staging long
>> patches. Forks of github repos are easy to create and can be public
>> right away meaning a long patch series can be easy for the custodians
>> to pull and easy for testers to pull.
>
> I want to keep with the requirement that all patches have to go
> through a single channel where everybody can take part in the
> reviewing preocess even in early phases - i. e. postings on the
> mailing list. git-am makes it trivial enough to apply such patches.

Yes I totally agree. Please allow me to clarify that I do not want to
stop patches being sent to the ML.

'git am' works fine for me also -- once the patches are downloaded
from the mailing list. It is the downloading process with which I
currently have trouble. I'll focus on streamlining that part of my
process so that I can work as the rest of the u-boot developers do.

> But, given their current ToS, I will not work with github in any way.

Thank you for taking the time to read through their ToS and for
considering my request. I appreciate you sharing your interpretation
of github's ToS.

Best Regards,
Ben Gardiner

---