[U-Boot] NetConsole and network API

Joe Hershberger joe.hershberger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:44:27 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
> My main question to the ML is, independently from the particular problem
> on my target, if we should change the actual concept. For example, if we
> provide to stop all devices only before booting an OS, but leaving them
> alive after the first initialization. I understand that this generate
> other issues (as u-boot cannot recognize that a cable was removed and
> inserted again), but it makes the system usable in other circumstances.

I've run into the same issue and patched net.c a bit to improve the
behavior of the NetConsole use case.  It's a surgical change, though,
not a fundamental change to how the network subsystem works.  Only if
using NetConsole do you get this behavior.  And even if using other
network operations with NetConsole, those other operations mostly
maintain their current behavior.

I'll post the patch at some point in the next month or so when I can
get the time to extract it and test it on modern u-boot.

Best regards,
-Joe