[U-Boot] Debugging why my kernel won't start

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 17 23:18:56 CEST 2010

Dear Rogan Dawes,

In message <4C6AE955.1060708 at dawes.za.net> you wrote:

> I'm not passing the second parameter at this stage, because the ramdisk
> is failing the CRC32 check for some reason. It may be that the CRC32
> calculation has changed between 1.1.1 which was the base for the vendor
> u-boot, and mainline. e.g. rather than being calculated over the precise
> length of the data, it is calculated over the entire block. Just a
> guess, of course.

That's a wild guess actually, and I bet a beer or two that its a
wrong one.

> I had been led to believe that it was possible to override the compiled
> in mach type by setting a "machid" environment variable. This would give
> me the best of both worlds - a u-boot compiled according to mainline
> registered numbers, with the ability to boot vendor firmware by simply
> setting an environment variable.
>
> Unfortunately, this did not work for me :-(

This feature was introduced by commit 3c234efa, dated 2008-01-30.
Eventually your U-Bootimage predates this...

> Am I mistaken in expecting the machid environment variable trick to work?

It should work in reasonably recent versions of U-Boot.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you believe that feeling bad or worrying long enough will change a
past or future event, then you are residing on another planet with  a
different reality system.