[U-Boot] Debugging why my kernel won't start

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Tue Aug 17 23:54:34 CEST 2010

On 2010/08/17 11:20 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Rogan Dawes,
>
> In message <4C6AEC70.40801 at dawes.za.net> you wrote:
>>
>> No, but mistaken in thinking that the machid was in decimal, when it is
>> really in hex.
>>
>> Now to figure out why the CRC calculations are different, and I'll have
>> a fully functioning u-boot!
>
> For a test you could as ell disable CRC checking:
>
> 	=> setenv verify no
> 	=> save
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Hi Wolfgang,

Yes, I found that while I was trying to see if the CRC calculation had
changed, but it did not work.

For some reason, the kernel didn't seem to think it had been given the
ramdisk parameter. At least, I get the following error message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(1,0)

Hmmm! Diff of the boot logs shows (mainline vs vendor):

< initrd (0xff9a0040 - 0xffe9f758) extends beyond physical memory -
disabling initrd
---
> Using UBoot passing parameters structure

Also potentially interesting is:

< Memory: 64MB = 64MB total
< Memory: 61696KB available (2599K code, 462K data, 112K init)
---
> Memory: 64MB 0MB 0MB 0MB = 64MB total
> Memory: 56576KB available (2599K code, 462K data, 112K init)

It seems that the amount of memory is being passed differently to the
kernel (1 bank vs 4)?

Keeping in mind that this is the same kernel executing, just with a
different setup code or parameters.

I'll keep investigating.

Rogan