[U-Boot] [RFC] CONFIG_RESET_PHY_R feature is broken

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 18 09:52:08 CEST 2010

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4C6B858F.9060201 at free.fr> you wrote:

> At the moment your problem is not being able to reset the PHY at times
> other than boot, i.e. the 'PHY API' would be limited to reset_phy()
> which is pretty much board-specific anyway. What prevents simply adding
> calls to reset_phy() to the driver? It needs them anyway, so it will
> never be compiled without a reset_phy() to call, right?

It may be desirable (at least as an option) to always perform the PHY
reset (just the reset, i. e. the hardware initialization) without
waiting for a link to come up.  Link negotiation could then happen "in
background", while other parts of U-Boot initialization are running.
When U-Boot actually performs a network command, it ill not have to
wait as long as in the case when we start resetting the PHY here.

I am well aware that this is not in line with the principle of
initializing the hardware only if needed, but short boot times are a
common requirement, so one might consider such an option.  [I would
not recommend (or accept) this as the default case.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Men will always be men -- no matter where they are.
	-- Harry Mudd, "Mudd's Women", stardate 1329.8