[U-Boot] u-boot-x86

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 03:42:31 CEST 2010

Hi SK,

On 20/08/10 17:42, sk ong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice there is u-boot for x86 architecture in the denx site. I wonder
> whether the u-boot-x86 has the legacy BIOS services, such as dispatching
> PCI/PCIE device option rom such as video, SATA, etc. Does it have int13,
> int15 etc. services for x86 Linux to call during booting phase.

The x86 port has an (extremely) limited BIOS primarily to provide INT12 and
INT15 for the purpose of determining memory size during the Linux Real-Mode
startup procedure.

I don't think that Linux actually needs BIOS other than during the initial
Real-Mode bootstrap. In an embedded environment, the board designer knows
all the information the BIOS would otherwise provide. My goal is to remove
the BIOS functionality from U-Boot and use the Protected-Mode entry point
of the Linux kernel and avoid the switching back-and-forth between Real and
Protected Modes

It sounds like you might be looking at using U-Boot for booting a x86 PC.
If this is the case, maybe you should take a look at coreboot
(http://www.coreboot.org/)

Regards,

Graeme