[U-Boot] FW: which protocol do I use to send S-record files when using the loads command ?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Aug 23 17:07:38 CEST 2010

Hi Jef,

>>> 10) The system I work on is a bareboard embedded system using U-boot
>>> to start up. That is why we are trying to use S-record files for
>>> uploading new programs, and not the more efficient FTP used in Linux.
>> So you do have a network interface on your board?  Heck, why don;t you
>> use TFTP then???
>
> I didn't say that. I was trying to say that our bareboard system
> doesn't support Ethernet and does not have TCP/IP stack (like Linux).
> If our system was a Linux system, we wouldn't be having this
> conversation.

We use tftp in U-Boot exactly because we also do not have a TCP/IP stack
:)

tftp needs only udp is thus "not too complex" to implement on bare
ethernet.  Maybe you can implement a server on your hardware?

Just a thought...

Cheers
  Detlev

--
To summarize:  It is a well known and lamented fact  that those people who
most want to  rule people are,  ipso facto, those  least suited  to do it.