[U-Boot] logbuffer functionality still broken?

CEVAN Ondrej Ondrej.CEVAN at frequentis.com
Wed Aug 25 20:06:51 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Does somebody know whether the CONFIG_LOGBUFFER functionality is supported by
one of the available kernels on the git.denx.de server?

The problem is that the function setup_ext_logbuff_mem() is called by
setup_ext_logbuff() but is nowhere defined.

Well, at least I was not able to find setup_ext_logbuff_mem() in the
following kernels:

Kernel version 2.6.36 -rc 1 from
http://git.denx.de/linux-2.6-denx.git

Kernel version 2.6.35 from
http://git.denx.de/u-boot-linux-2.6-agust.git

Kernel version 2.4.27 -vrs1 from
http://git.denx.de/linuxppc_2_4_devel.git

Asking google for help revealed that CONFIG_LOGBUFFER is broken since
arch/ppc removal [1], but also that Grant Erickson proposed on January 2009 a
patch which included the architecture support of this feature for
arch/powerpc [2]. Afaik, Grant's patch was a proposal of adding the kernel
feature of specifying an alternative, "external" buffer for kernel printk
messages to the mainstream kernel. Although it did not success to be in the
mainline kernel I am curious to know why is this functionality still broken
in the DENX kernels? Is it only that nobody has it on its todo list, or are
there some other reasons?

Many thanks for your response.

Regards,

Ondrej