[U-Boot] U-boot networking not working

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Dec 2 11:19:07 CET 2010

Mark,

Please do not write your answers above the text you answer to (i.e., do
not top-post)

Le 02/12/2010 10:48, Mark Underwood a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> thanks for your quick replys. More helpful than the manufacturer thats
> for sure.
>
> I totally admit that im a newbie at all this, so sorry if I dont
> understand things.

No problem -- we all learn something new every day. :)

> I was under the impression that the MAC address was supplied by the
> hardware supplier. (at least this seems to be the can in the PC world).
> Is this not the case in the embedded world?

Yes, it is; but while the supplier provides a unique MAC address for
each MAC they send out, they don't necessarily burn it in the HW: it is
often configurable.

Here, the MAC is configured from a u-boot env variable; but obviously,
the MAC address specified in your u-boot environment is not a valid one
(I needed a second look and a step backward to read it as "DEAD BEEF 01
01").

I suggest looking for your MAC address on a sticker or marking on the
board, or a printed leaflet, or on the box.

> Cheers
>
> Mark

Amicalement,
--