[U-Boot] OMAP3: EVM: Linker errors across tool chain versions

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Thu Dec 16 14:47:23 CET 2010

Am 14.12.2010 17:01, schrieb Albert ARIBAUD:
> Le 14/12/2010 16:42, Dirk Behme a écrit :
>
> (agree about the analysis)
>
>> So I'd like to re-send the int conversion patch from
>>
>> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-December/083524.html
>>
>> in a proper format again as a workaround for this issue.
>>
>> Ok?
>
> I think Wolfgang does not want this fix if it is a workaround to a bug,
> although it is not clear to me if this includes toolchain bugs. In any
> case, the decision will be Wolfgang's, so it's best if he's Cc:ed just
> in case.

To put some salt into the wounds ;) , Using gcc 4.5.1 board_init_f isn't
reached here. When I'm using gcc 4.3.5 it is reached. In both cases I've
used the same version of binutils, 2.20.1.

For a test without using jtag, I've modified board_init_f to be

-----------
board_init_f()
{
turn_on_leds
while(1) ;
}

I'm working with the master (f8689b9eb3a7f6925cd50404a12479889188c510)
on a beagleboard, using
--------
     make mrproper
     make omap3_beagle_config
     make
--------

to build u-boot.bin. So now it seems we have to look at some difference
regarding versions of gcc and not binutils.

I will have a look if I will found out more, currently I'm not sure what
else is called from start.S before board_init_f().

Regards,

Alexander