[U-Boot] Board Porting MACH_TYPE question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 20 14:49:50 CET 2010

Dear Robert Mortimer,

In message <1259520402.588.1292850598306.JavaMail.root at mailserver.xen.bluechiptechnology.co.uk> you wrote:

> I am porting a board similar to the Beagle to U-Boot. The Beagle config works but needs further pin MUXing . I have copied the Beagle board config to a new name and when compiled the binary performs as per the Beale one. My issue is when I change the li
> ne

Please make sure to use a line lenght of some 70 characters or less.

> 51: gd->bd->bi_arch_number = MACH_TYPE_OMAP3_BEAGLE;
>
> in the copy of beagle.h (now re2v2.h) to

You are not supposed to mess with exsiting boards.  Please create your
own board config instead.

> 51: gd->bd->bi_arch_number = MACH_TYPE_OMAP3_RE2V2;

Is this an officially registered machine type?  I can't find it.

> The loader now unpacks the loaded kernel and then halts at the stage where it tries to boot it
>
> I have updated arch/arm/include/ asm /mach-types.h and include/ asm /mach-types.h.

You are not supposed to do that. Please register your board at the ARM
machine registry, and when the ID has become available in the Linux
tree, then submit an update request for mach-types.h here.

> Any idea what additional work needs to be done to move to MACH_TYPE_OMAP3_RE2V2 from MACH_TYPE_OMAP3_BEAGLE?

Please register your board.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on."
- Samuel Goldwyn