[U-Boot] [ARM] gap between _start and CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:56:30 CET 2010

> In message <AANLkTikkL7iQVn-a8SxYM6=a0gqOSLza+Gtdhoq7dMFE at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Compiler: arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2008q3-72)
>> 4.3.2   -- I also tried a couple of other versions without difference.
>
> Did these include more recent versions?  GCC 4.3.x is not exactly what
> I can recommend for ARM systems...

Well, the newest one I've tried was arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Gentoo
4.4.4-r1 p1.1, pie-0.4.5) 4.4.4. But I found it broken since it messed
up relocation-related sections for some reason.  What compiler you
think I should try?

>> Text_base: 0x00100010
>
> Is there a special reason for chosing such an odd address?
>
> Why don't you use 0x00100000 ?

Our SoC's bootloader expects this strange address. It is hardcoded
into chip and can't be changed :(

> We don't know your code, nor your linker script, nor your link
> command.
>
> We don't even know which version of U-Boot you are talking about.
>
> Thus we cannot even guess what you might be doing.

O, sorry.
I branched out from commit # 227b7251554 and tried to stay default as
much as possible. So I am using cpu/arm1176's default  u-boot.lds and
start.S

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,     MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
> in God.

Sergey