[U-Boot] BBT support to UBOOT question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 12 17:13:19 CET 2010

Dear Steven Zedeck,

In message <27565331.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

> I've seen code on the web written by open moko that tries to address the
> issue of adding BBT creation to the uboot nand command. I looked at the
> latest released uboot (2009.11.1) and I don't see the "createbbt" support in
> the common/cmd_nand.c file
>
> I'm not sure what that means? Does it mean there is an issue with it or does
> it not mean some uboot criteria? Again, hope I'm asking this correctly.

Your questions is pefectly valid and sane.

> Does this functionality exist elsewhere within Uboot?

No, it does not. The thing is that the OpenMoko folks implemented a
lot of highly interesting features, but they never bothered to submit
anything back upstream into mainline.

It is because no patch was ever submitted to this mailing list, that
none of their code ever made it into the mainline source tree.

> I'd rather not reinvent the wheel, plus the fact that I don't know the
> details about nand devices as yet. I was hoping that support to
> create/generate the Nand BBT in Uboot existed.

The best you could do is to try and port this extension on top of a
recent version of U-Boot (at least the latest released version, better
top of tree in the git repo) and then submit the patches so they can
be reviewed and merged into the mainline code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
                                                    -- Samuel Goldwyn