[U-Boot] The post_list array order change

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Feb 15 10:30:14 CET 2010

Hi Michael,

> In continuation to my post where I explained necessity
> of user defined post_progress_status facility
> (see. http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-February/067662.html)
> I am looking now for the best way of causing the diagnostics output
> interface test to be run first. In my case it is the diagnostics LEDs test.

Just out of interest, what exactly do you test there?  Do you have any
way of measuring if the LEDs work or not?

> I would like to ask which one of the possibilities is preferable:
> add the “diagout” test to the head of the post_list array or
> override the post_list with proprietary one and make changes
> in the board specific file.
> Please comment.

As always, I would try to keep as much in common code as possible, so
I'd vote to prepend the entry in the global variable.  After all, it
will be CONFIG_SYS_POST_DIAG protected, correct?

But then again, the order of the tests should generally be from the
simple to the more complex, so I would really need to know what your
test does.  I.e. will a failure in the test be a general POST failure?
Can it run if already available tests will fail?

Actually, looking at the current order, it is not very clear to me if
this is "optimal" in the light of the thoughts laid out in the previous
paragraph.

It seems I have to think about this a little more.  Does anybody else
have an idea if the current ordering is in any way sensible?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
I think that level of generalization is too abstract for useful thinking.
             -- Richard Stallman in <E19N344-0006Q9-Bt at fencepost.gnu.org>