[U-Boot] The post_list array order change

Michael Zaidman michael.zaidman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 19:06:31 CET 2010

Dear Wolfgang,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

>> In order to relate on this indication we must be sure it is operating correctly.
>> It could be done by observing diagnostics LEDs performing running "1" pattern
>> or any different algorithm which user is expected. Only afterwards we may
>> be sure that we correctly interpret number and result of specific POST test
>> which is indicated on the diagnostics LEDs.
>
> I have to admit that I don't understand your exact requirements. To me
> this makes not much sense. Classic system design would probably
> include a "lamp test" button where you can test the hardware - i. e.
> if all your LEDs / LED segments are working (but one might discuss if
> this is still needed with LED's - it certainly was useful with classic
> light bulbs that would burn through sooner or later).

Yes, I remember... (-:

> A temporary display which disappears so you miss it if you don't look
> at the device in the right moment is not exactly the kind of user
> interface I would like for a function you seem to consider critical.

We are trying to address the situation when quite complicated and
expansive board combining analog and digital HW is returned from
the field for repair. The board is dead.
No serial and Ethernet channels are operational.
The technician need to understand which part/module/aria/element
of the board should be replaced. After visual inspection, at some point
the technician will power up the board. The first thing he will looking for
are diagnostics LEDs selftest result. If he misses it he will recycle power
again. At the end of the board start up the diagnostics LEDs hopefully
will indicate number of the faulted or stuck POST test.

Thanks,
Michael.