[U-Boot] How to random my mac in u-boot

Aras Vaichas arasv at magellan-technology.com
Thu Feb 18 03:48:54 CET 2010

On 9 February 2010 17:29, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In general, such a solution is not needed at all. When you can
> automate writes to an EEPROM, you can do the same for writes to flash
> memory (which is what I pointed out in my posting refering to the
> tqm8xx boards).

True, but not for our case.

We put the same EEPROMs and an I2C bus on all sub-boards in our
products. These EEPROMs contain detailed version and build number
information about each board.

At startup the application scans the system for each EEPROM and builds
a configuration profile of everything in the system. This allows our
main application to load the correct FPGA image, configure GPIO ports,
etc.

The main requirement was to allow a technician, with minimal
equipment, to completely audit every board in our product
(e.g.retrieve the serial numbers for RMA and warranty purposes)
without cracking open the case.

Since the I2C bus can be powered externally, we don't need to power up
the system in order to read the memory device.  So it will still work
on a broken sub-board - assuming the I2C bus is still intact.

Aras