[U-Boot] building and updating u-boot on redboot based board

Matthias Kaehlcke matthias at kaehlcke.net
Sun Feb 21 11:21:20 CET 2010

Hi,

El Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 05:31:48PM -0800 Vipul Jain ha dit:

> 1. How to know if u-boot image I have build is build correctly?

the image is build correctly if the file u-boot.bin is
generated. another question is if this image is appropriate for your
board

> 2. I have redboot on my EP9302 SOC (Cirrus logic), can I load u-boot in
> memory and test if it works? What will be the memory address I need to
> download the image?

in order to start U-Boot from RAM you must define
CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT and CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT. the memory
address depends on your board. for a edb9302 try 0x01000000, for
edb9302a 0xc1000000

be aware that even if the U-Boot image starts from RAM this doesn't
mean automatically that it will boot on your board. when booting from
RAM low-level initialization is skipped (i.e. the environment set up
by redboot is used), when U-Boot boots from flash it is in charge to
do the low-level init.

> 3. How can I burn the u-boot image if I find every thing ok?

if your board is a Cirrus Logic edb9302, refer to the paragraph
"Download Utility" in chapter 7 of the technical reference
manual. otherwise consult the manual provided by your board
manufacturer.

i think you could skip step 2 (try to load U-Boot from RAM), as you
can always restore your RedBoot bootloader using the same procedure as
for flashing the U-Boot image

btw, which version of U-Boot are you using, the current development
version or a custom one?

best regards

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Developer

    The book of nature is written in the language of mathematics
                         (Galileo Galilei)
                                                                 .''`.
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  : :'  :
                                                                `. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4                  `-