[U-Boot] u-boot coldfire linux and fdt

Philippe De Muyter phdm at macqel.be
Sun Feb 21 13:31:36 CET 2010

Hello Tsi Chung Liew,

I have installed u-boot and linux on a in-house-made coldfire mcf5484 based
board.  As u-boot currently supports mcf5484-based development boards, I used
that as a starting point for the u-boot port for our in-house board.

For linux unfortunately I needed to stick with the ltib-based version of
linux-2.6.25 for mcf5484-based development boards distributed by freescale.

I have discovered the hard way that that version of linux does not use
the mac addresses for the ethernet ports as known by u-boot under the
names "ethaddr" and "eth1addr", but uses the same wrong mac-address for all
the boards.

Now it seems that the old way to communicate the mac addresses from u-boot
to linux using the struct bd_info has been deprecated and removed from
u-boot sources.  I see some fdt-related functions in the u-boot sources,
but I am not sure that the fdt blob is given to linux, or that linux
for coldfire expects to get and use a fdt blob.

Can you enlighten me regarding that point, especially for mcf5484 boards ?

Thanks in advance

Philippe