[U-Boot] Problem executing hello world as specified on wiki

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 23 21:51:48 CET 2010

Dear Vipul Jain,

please do not top post / full quote. Please read

Please always post plain text only, no HTML ever.

And please keep the mailing list on Cc:

In message <b178b0fc1002231227u4993cc42q90bf71dfd8ce0d68 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> when I captured the make output for u-boot which as part of buildiing
> u=boot.bin also builds standalone examples, this is what I noticed.
>
> arm-linux-ld -g -Ttext 0xc100000 \
>             -o hello_world -e hello_world hello_world.o libstubs.a \

OK, so you know your text address is 0xc100000.

> In lib_arm/config.mk I could see code that says
> ifeq ($(BOARD),omap2420h4)
> STANDALONE_LOAD_ADDR = 0x80300000
> else
> ifeq ($(SOC),omap3)
> STANDALONE_LOAD_ADDR = 0x80300000
> else
> STANDALONE_LOAD_ADDR = 0xc100000
> endif
> endif

Here you can see where the number above is actually coming from.

> Do I need to add one more case here specifically for EDB9203 board. if yes,
> can you please suggest

Why would you want to do that? What makes you think 0xc100000 would
not be a suitable address for your system?

In previous postings you showed that you were able to TFTP your image
to this address just fine.

In those examples you downloaded the ELF image, but we explained you
that this does not work with the "go" ommand, and that you have to use
the binary image (.bin) instead - as documented.

You also tried to start it right at the download address, but I also
pointed you to the entry in the FAQ which explains that the actual
entry point address might be elsewhere, and how you can find it.

Did you read this documentation? Did you attempt to try following the
many hints you received?

If you got stuck on that way then please feel free to ask again (on
the list), but please show that you at least attempted to do what you
have been told.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  Do you know what the death rate around here is?
A:  One per person.