[U-Boot] ARM GLOBAL_DATA_PTR gd issue

pawan pawan007 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 08:04:13 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to compile the u-boot for arm-1026 architecture after adding the
support for a new board. I'm facing the issue in accessing the global data
"gd" (which is declared in "include/asm-arm/global_data.h" as
#define DECLARE_GLOBAL_DATA_PTR     register volatile gd_t *gd __asm__
("r8")
).

As per the declaration "gd" is assigned the register "r8", however in the
generated code this never happens, mostly it is the r6 register that is used
for it. I checked that the -ffixed-r8 is getting used as a compile option.
Can somebody point what might be going wrong?

Thanks,
Pawan