[U-Boot] start a second kernel/filesystem if first one is corrupted

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 13 21:46:55 CET 2010

Dear Arno Steffen,

In message <804f0d21001130702x2aaa39e8t8677d5360885caa8 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> To make a more stable system I want to put a second reduced linux
> (kernel/rootfs) onto flash memory.
> This should be boot automatically, if #1 fails for any reason.

This is a standard mode of operation, and well documented. See the
example in the FAQ:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CommandLineParsing#Section_14.2.16.3.

> I tried to add this in bootcmd, but execution will be interuppted if the
> first bootm failes.

You must have done something wrong.

> Is there any chance to do so?

Sure.

> (maybe it is even possible to compile this into bootloader, in case uboot
> environment gets corrupted/misconfigured)

We use redundant environment with checksums to prevent this.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
...when fits of creativity run strong, more than  one  programmer  or
writer  has  been  known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious
floor.                                             - Fred Brooks, Jr.