[U-Boot] u-boot fails to read from nand flash in omap3

fgd fgarciad at epicom.es
Tue Jan 19 09:21:53 CET 2010

 Hi everyone,
I've recently been playing with an omap3 beagle board and I've found a
problem that I think involves the reading of nand memory...
I have recompiled u-boot for the beagle board (I just changed its prompt, as
a simple test to check that it's my u-boot and not the one that was there
before, and I used the default configs for the beagle), then I have loaded
u-boot and the x-loader into flash, and I have succesfully rebooted and seen
'my' u-boot prompt...
after that, I wanted to load a linux kernel and a file system into nand
flash, instead of using the external memory card (if I boot a kernel stored
there, it works), so I go and load an uImage into flash, then read it back
to RAM, and boot from there, and it still works, BUT, as soon as I reset the
OMAP, when it tries to copy the kernel data stored in flash into RAM to boot
from it, the nand reading operation will fail, and if I try to boot that
kernel it will complain about a CRC checksum error...
the exact error looks like this:
#  nand read ${loadaddr} 280000 400000

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x280000, size 0x400000
NAND read from offset 280000 failed -74

note that this just happens after I reset the board... I thought it could be
a hardware problem with my board, but I've tried in a different board (an
omap3 evm) and I'm getting the same thing, so I think I might be missing
something...
has anyone of you tried something like this or has encountered any similar
problem? any help will be greatly appreciated, if you need any extra info
about what I have done just tell me...
thanks a lot in advance, regards

Fernando