[U-Boot] mkimage and XIP vs entry point

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 19 11:39:32 CET 2010

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201001190415.22075.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > not been much used on other platforms or even more recent kernels
> > than the 2.4.4 version we've been using by then (for details please
> > see http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ConfigureLinuxForXIP)
>
> is that based on custom patches ?  i grepped arch/powerpc/ for "xip" (case
> insensitive) and got 0 results.

See the attachment to the web page I referenced above.

> hmm, i'm not sure we've done speed tests yet.  i'll poke our guys about it.

We repeated such tests some times later, not for XIP but for the root
file system. The results were basicly the same - it was faster to load
compressed data from NOR than to read the compressed data.

> i know you would ;).  but we dont do FIT kernels with Blackfin and dont
> currently have plans for doing them since this isnt a trivial thing to add
> support for.

I doubt you can fit it in a conceptually clean way into the uImage
concept. But feel free to give it a try.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de