[U-Boot] Linux Kernel without Ethernet (missed MAC)

Prafulla Wadaskar prafulla at marvell.com
Tue Jan 19 14:34:18 CET 2010

Hi Arno

I hope, when you are booting the kernel from media (i.e. NAND/Flash/Sata and not Ethernet) you are getting this problem.
u-boot does not perform peripheral h/w initialization by default, u-boot as well as kernel assumes h/w is doing this.

May be in your case, smc91x h/w does not do it on Power on by default.
When you do any network activity prior to kernel boot, device_init is invoked and the MAC address is set and your system works.

Possible Solution: add dummy network command like (ping x.x.x.x) in your auto boot sequence.

Regards..
Prafulla . .