[U-Boot] SPI and spi_cs_activate

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Fri Jan 29 16:59:28 CET 2010

Hi list,

I am trying to get the spi_mmc driver by Robert Selberg and Hans Eklund
to run on my new Coldfire board. (The driver was posted as a patch some
time ago, clearly marked as not ready for mainline. I just did not figure
out the correct search term to give the message ID.)

Now I am running into problems because the driver uses spi_cs_[de]activate,
which is rather useless on coldfire which does automatic cs.

Looking through other drivers' code it seems to me that spi_cs_[de]activate
was never meant to be called from anybody else but some special SPI
drivers that can not aotumatically control cs lines or for systems
where SPI is done in software and so setting the appropriate GPIOs
is handed over to special board-dependent code.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Regards,
Wolfgang