[U-Boot] MX31PDK not booting with U-boot v2010.06

Magnus Lilja lilja.magnus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 16:45:19 CEST 2010

Hi Stefano,

>> Has anyone tried the latest release on the i.MX31 PDK board? I
>> downloaded it on my board, using U-boot v2010.03-rc1 to download and
>> update U-boot, and after a reset it doesn't start. Since I don't have
>> a debugger right now I don't know more than that. I'll get my hands
>> on one and re-flash the board.
>>
>> As I mentioned, v2010.03-rc1 worked. I haven't tried any versions
>> after that. v2010.06 seems to work on the i.MX31 Litekit board
>> (Litekit boots from NOR, PDK boots from NAND).
>
> I do not have a MX.31 board booting from NAND, I could only test on
> another board (qong) booting from NOR and I can at least confirm you
> there are no problems. It seems you cannot avoit to use the debugger to
> get some more info...

I have some updated info now, it might have been a problem with the v2010.03-rc1 that I use to reprogram the flash to 2010.06. After using the debugger to program 2010.06 the board boots nicely from NAND and I can also use 2010.06 to reprogram the flash and board boots also after this reprogramming.

However, I have access to a board that boots from a small page NAND flash and v2010.06 does not boot on that board (2009.11 boots). After reverting f3bb63a304c4e76010a2a4e99da61f7b6ffffc77 (Add MX25 support to nand_spl fsl nfc driver) the board boots fine so I guess that commit broke i.MX31 small page NAND booting.

Haven't investigated why that commit breaks small page booting and I doubt I will spend time on it before mid August.

Regards, Magnus Lilja