[U-Boot] cmd_date.c error or itention?

Reinhard Meyer reinhard.meyer at emk-elektronik.de
Mon Jul 5 17:37:57 CEST 2010

Wolfgang Denk schrieb:
> Dear Reinhard Meyer,
>
> In message <4C31ED2B.1020707 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:
>> As well as there is a difference between read error and file not found,
>> there well might be a difference in clock nonfunctional and time invalid...
>
> Indeed.
>
>> But alas, I will make rtc_get not return an error and zero out the tm
>> structure instead when the driver KNOWS the date is not correct.
>
> Why would you do that?  This prevents anybody trying to track down
> problems from seeing what is really going on.  When you retrun the
> real (incorrect) data, I can see if the attempt to set the date shows
> any affect at all - with your method I don't see anything at all.

So far no AT91SAM9xxx board has a date command in u-boot. The kernel as
it is will not set the system time when the offset register is zero. If
the register is non-zero the time will be used.

I'm just trying to have the same behaviour in u-boot.

Besides your argumentation is flawed: why try to READ the clock
when I am going to set it anyway? This reading and the following if just
increase the code size :)

Now setting the clock still gives the warning (puts() in the driver)
that the time is invalid (because the time is read before overwritten).

I think that is more irritating. So your suggestions is then to have
the driver not say anything at all, just return OK and a bogus value...

Reinhard