[U-Boot] Need Help in bulding U-boot-2010-06 for OpenRD client

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Jul 8 08:54:07 CEST 2010

Le 08/07/2010 08:09, Prafulla Wadaskar a écrit :

> [...]

Well, it isn't so obvious, as normally one should be able to start
u-boot from any address, as the first thing u-boot does is relocate
itself back to its TEXT_BASE (see arch/arm/cpu/arm926ejs/start.S). This
feature is precisely there to allow chaining one u-boot in RAM from
another one. This relocation feature is compiled in by default; one must
define CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT, to explicitely forbid u-boot from
doing so.

>> OTOH, openOCD boots the RAM image fine, so I guess OpenOCD does some
>> inits that the boot rom plus resident u-boot don't.
>
> Openocd configures RAM before loading u-boot.bin
> U-boot.kwb does the same but internal bootROM does this instead of openOCD in case of boot from NAND
> U-boot.bin anyway needs SDRAM configurations to be done by someone else before starting execution.

I don't mean SDRAM is not initialized; obviously it is. However,
something else prevents the kirkwood u-boot to chain from itself. I'd
thought an initialization is missing, but actually it could be something
about the relocation.

> Regards..
> Prafulla . .

Amicalement,