[U-Boot] watchdog not working for PPC

Mark Maestas maestas at aplabs.com
Tue Jul 13 03:03:55 CEST 2010

To u-boot list:

I have a Canyonlands reference board with the PPC 460Ex processor and I
have been trying to enable watchdog support through u-boot.  The problem
I am seeing is that for some reason when I turn on WD the board will
reset before it finishes loading RAM disk and TSR is showing a FIT
reset.  The problem I am working with is the documentation I have for
the PPC440 Timer facilities does not seem to match exactly with the
u-boot code.  I tried to conform the code to the documentation and still
get the same problem.  For starters there is nothing that enables the
MSR CE bit for watchdog.  Also the code in cpu_init.c enables the
watchdog using TSR[ENW] but never sets TCR[WIE].  I have tried to clear
up these problems and I am still getting the FIT reset even if I disable
FIT and DEC.  Does anyone have experience with this can offer
assistance?

Thanks

Mark Maestas