[U-Boot] USB CDC branch

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Tue Jul 13 21:48:04 CEST 2010

Hi,

2010/7/13 Vitaly Kuzmichev <vkuzmichev at mvista.com>:
> FYI I'm doing some work on this branch too.

Great!

> Actually I have ported it to 2010.03

What do you mean with ported to 2010.03?
It was already working on latest git, do you mean you backported it to
an older version? (I would not expect this would be a big difference
though)

> added RNDIS support

Is RNDIS working stable? We had quite some troubles with it,
especially with BSODs on those Windows boxes...
The device unplug/plug behaviour was a pain for RNDIS, hence the
reason why we removed that from the code.
But, I do not want to scare you off from this rndis work, please
continue. Maybe you can get it to work properly :-)

We use it to communicate with a CDC driver on a Windows XP-embedded
host (http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_cdcecm.shtml). CDC works much
more stable, and much more faster compared to rndis.

>  and made integration into 'usb' command.

Great!

> However these changes aren't tested yet so the work is still under progress.
>
> Probably someone knows about any possible issues with CDC/RNDIS support?

See above.
and CDC is working stable, no known issues with it.

At least one hint: First get CDC working on your hardware before you
start to connect rndis, that would allow you to get the udc driver and
all other levels of SW working properly and that you would only need
to focus on rndis protocol rarities after that. And to prevent that
you are debugging all kinds of undocumented rndis calls from the
Windows host you could use a Linux host instead with the
Linux-rndis-usb-host driver  ;-)

> And also I would like to know the answers to Stefano's questions.

See my other reply.

I would suggest to merge all work in progress in the u-boot-usb/CDC
branch from which we push it to mainline.

Kind regards,

Remy