[U-Boot] mkconfig "arch" link generation

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Jul 14 12:10:17 CEST 2010

Matteo Facchinetti wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Matteo,

> I'm updating my uboot to mainline and I have a question about a link
> generate from mkconfig (with mpc5121_config).
> Follwing link in "include/asm", I found a link named "arch" genarated by
> mkconfig.
> This is broken so point to "arch-mpc512x" instead of
> "arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc512x".

Yes, the link is broken. However, all boards in the mainline using the
MPC512x are compiled clean. This is because asm-offsets.h is included
only by arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc512x/start.S with "#include "asm-offsets.h",
and the compiler search for the file in the same directory of start.S
and can find it.
The link is not required to compile the 512x boards supported currently
by u-boot, but it must be set for the ARM architecture. Under the
kernel, asm-offsets.h is auto-generated (I know, this is the best solution).

However, why do you need this file ? It should be required only by low
level initialization in assembly, as it is done by start.S. After that,
it is required in u-boot to access to registers/peripherals via C
structures and not using offsets.

> Result is "#include <asm/arch/asm-offsets.h>" or similar are be broken.
>
> How is the correct way to modify mkconfig?

Probably not setting the link for powerpc, because it is not required.

Regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de