[U-Boot] concerning the EasyPC WMT Netbook Machine and your hand made modules (or your knowledge of both)

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 20:16:43 CEST 2010

Dne St 14. července 2010 19:20:34 Maciek Błachnio napsal(a):
> Hi Marek,

Hi,

linux-arm-kernel, u-boot CCed.

> I found your address in the description of a kernel module and decided to
> give it a shot.
> I'm sure I am one of many, but I wonder if you could help me with one
> thing.

What kernel module if I may ask?

> I've managed to build a custom linux kernel for ARMv5 along with all the
> modules, booted a full Debian system under QEMU, but can't, for the life of
> me, boot it on the WMT ARM926EJ-S machine.

What machine is it?

> Maybe you have an idea what must be done to boot that darn thing. When I
> flashed it with "abrasive" Debian, it booted fine.

abrasive?

> Some logs from the Debian's bootlog:
>
> CPU: ARM926EJ-S [41069265] revision 5 (ARMv5TEJ), cr=00053177
>
> CPU: VIVT data cache, VIVT instruction cache
> Machine: WMT
>
> I've tried various types of U-boot configurations to no avail.
> A few questions:
> 1. are there any patches/custom modules/modifications to kernel for the WMT
> WM8505 7 inch EasyPC?

No, I never had this machine. If I had a few, I won't mind doing in-depth
analysis of the hardware though (but if there's anyone else who would like to do
this, I'd pass on it ;-) ).

> 2. what (if any) arcNumber do I have to pass to U-boot for the mainline
> kernel to boot?

Did you compile the mainline linux kernel for correct machine ? Don't forget
this is ARM, the platform setup is pretty much fixed. That's mostly why you pass
machine ID.

> 3. how do I get the booting process to show on my screen (I mean pre-linux
> kernel, just the u-boot messages), cause now the screen stays black and I
> can't debug the errors

Well u-boot should have serial console working. Later, you can enable early
console debug support (somewhere under kernel debuging).

> Well, if you could help me with just one of the above, I'd be really
> grateful :-)
> Well, hope to hear (read) from you soon
> Thanks
> Maciek