[U-Boot] Question about patches

Vipin KUMAR vipin.kumar at st.com
Tue Jul 20 11:06:11 CEST 2010

On 7/20/2010 1:09 PM, Fabio Giovagnini wrote:
> Hi Vipin,
> I'm not so smart in diff / patch and git tools usage.
> Could be so kind to write to me how to build a patch for just one file I have
> modified in driver/mtd directory of u-boot?
>
> Thanks in advange and sorry for my request, but I read on the net and nothing
> appeared to be usfull.

No problems. It takes a little time to get used to git but then you start liking
it. Anyway

you can create a patch for each commit. You can see a summary of commits via
"git log"

Basically you need to run git format-patch -n <reference>
reference is a branch name or tag or a direct reference to commit from which
you want to create patches

eg git format-patch -n origin/master would create numbered patches for commits
after the commit pointed to by origin/master

Also, run "gitk --all -1000" to get an understanding of what exactly is
happening in the background when you commit a change

Hope this helps a little

Vipin