[U-Boot] mtd partition &kernel

Ben Gardiner bengardiner at nanometrics.ca
Wed Jul 21 07:16:28 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Fundu <fundu_1999 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> does the kernel know about different mtd partition from the boot loader?

Yes. But only If the kernel is compiled with support for parsing the
'mtdpart' boot argument [1] and the mtdparts argument is passed to the
linux kernel from u-boot by adding $mtdparts to the bootargs u-boot
environment variable. See for example,
include/configs/imx31_phycore.h.

> How do I go about creating a new mtd partition say /var/logs.
>
> I'm using a mini2440 board which has 4 mtd partition
> uboot
> uboot-env
> kernel
> rootfs
>
> I want to add another one, how do I go about doing that?

Once your system meets the requirements listed above, you can add
another partition by adding its definition to the end of the mtdparts
u-boot environment variable. The format of this variable is well
documented [2].

Best Regards,
Ben Gardiner

[1] http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt#1500