[U-Boot] uboot redundancy.

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Wed Jul 21 18:27:24 CEST 2010

Sagar Heroorkar <sagar.heroorkar at gmail.com> wrote on 2010/07/21 17:21:31:

> Hi All,
>
> Before i start using your ( Joakim )approach. I would like to get some tips
> from Wolfgang or someone who can assist me here.
>
> I am working on nor flash which is 128 mb flash for the PPC4XX.
>
> My  goal is to make uboot redundant. having other copy of uboot if one fails to boot.
> Architechure follows like this.
>
> Totally there will be 3 uboots. Golden uboot is the one which has basic logic
> to pick which uboot from uboot 1 or uboot 2 (different copy).
> uboot 1 and uboot 2 is flashed into some location of 16mb nor flash.

Seems sane.

> Steps follows like this.
>
> 1)G-boot picks up uboot1/uboot2 based on environment variable. Basically we
> jumps to that uboot and start booting it from there.

Doesn't need to be an env var. I image one could mark each image (uboot 1 or
uboot 2) with a flag instead. That way you don't need to parse the env.

> When i analysed the approach what Joakim implemented in http://www.mail-
> archive.com/u-boot at lists.denx.de/msg26918.html.
> He uses something like link_off() for each of the global data.
>
> * There will be too many link_offs() i have to use in uboot to make sure each
> of the global data.

There are a few link_offs() but not too many IMHO. Remember that my patches
were complete for my board.

> * As i will have 2 uboots which resides into seperate partitions. This requies
> to build 2 uboots with different relotate_code logic/something .

Yes, this is the other way, you need to build two images linked to different
addresses and select the right one at install.