[U-Boot] splash screen handling in u-boot when booting an OS

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sun Jul 25 21:14:56 CEST 2010

some Blackfin boards support CONFIG_VIDEO so there is a splash screen while u-
boot is running.  however, we dont always boot a Linux image with a video
driver enabled.  so sometimes a few weird things can occur due to the DMA
always running in the background (such as attempting to suspend to RAM).

there doesnt seem to be any support with CONFIG_VIDEO though for turning
things off.  i can also see cases though where people wouldnt want to turn the
video off until the OS is up and running and ready to take over the display
("flicker free" and what not).  but on our Blackfin development boards, we
arent concerned with that by default.

so should i extend the CONFIG_VIDEO interface to include an option to shut
down the video before booting an OS ?  similar to the call to usb_stop() in
cmd_bootm.c.
-mike