[U-Boot] U-Boot: U-Boot 2010.06 doesn't boot from NAND Flash on AMCC Sequoia

YURI ZHARIKOV yzhariko at ing.uc3m.es
Mon Jul 26 19:21:16 CEST 2010

Dear all:

We are Microelectronic Design and Applications (DMA) research group
from University Carlos III of Madrid (Spain). At the moment, we are
developing our own computational hardware platform, based on AMCC
Sequoia board.

In the past, we used U-Boot 1.3.3 with AMCC Sequoia board, and PPC
booted fine from NAND Flash. At the moment, with the same configuration
of bootstrap (533MHz, NAND Boot, 33Mhz PCI) we are trying to use the
last version of U-Boot (2010.06) on AMCC Sequoia board. But PPC doesn’t
boot well, because there aren’t any information on HyperTerminal.

We use ELDK 4.2 for compiling U-Boot 2010.06 nand image on the same way
that we did it for U-Boot 1.3.3:
$ export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xxFP-
$ PATH=$PATH:/opt/eldk/usr/bin:/opt/eldk/bin
$ cd u-boot
$ make distclean
$ make sequoia_nand_config
$ make all

We boot PPC from NOR FLASH with previous version of U-Boot, and then we
program NAND Flash memory with U-Boot 2010.06 nand image. We also use
the same commands to do it that we used with U-Boot 1.3.3:
=> loadb 100000  /* transfer the U-Boot image */ => nand erase ENTER
=> nand write 100000 0 70000 ENTER

After that, we put J2 jumper and select SW2 (OFF-OFF-OFF-OFF).

Are we missing something?

Thanks and Regards,

Yuri Zharikov

Departamento de Tecnología Electrónica