[U-Boot] funny/faulty message

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 29 23:32:26 CEST 2010

Dear Frans Meulenbroeks,

In message <AANLkTinS9N=+8GMpraj=ie=Cor4U0Mtj=GeVKbWoGdJ7 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Tried to erase two protected sectors:
>
> => erase 0xe8000000 e803ffff
> - Warning: 2 protected sectors will not be erased!
>  done
> Erased 2 sectors
>
> The fault is that it said it erased 2 sectors.
> The funny part is that it mentioned that the sectors won't be erased.
>
> I would expect either that the erased message gives the actual erased
> sectors (0 in this case) or that the erase aborts if there are protected
> sectors
> (preferably before it does anything, so check upfront for all sectors).

Aborting seems to a bad idea to me - skipping the protected sectors is
much more useful, as you can for example do things like "erase all"
without need to know exactly where protected sectors might exist.

As for the reporting of erased sector numbers: Please feel free to
submit apatch.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"...this does not mean that some of us should not want, in  a  rather
dispassionate sort of way, to put a bullet through csh's head."
                   - Larry Wall in <1992Aug6.221512.5963 at netlabs.com>