[U-Boot] How to handle binary data file in u-boot

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Fri Jul 30 09:44:15 CEST 2010

Lv Terry-R65388 wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
>     We have implemented an display utilty in u-boot and this utlity
> needs a waveform file.
>
>     We are planning to release this display utility, but we don't know
> how to do with the waveform file. The file is as large as 800KB.
>
>     Now we just put the waveform file on mmc and read it out in boot.
>
>     Is there any better way to deliver this binary waveform file as part
> of the bootloader?
>     How is this case  typically handled?

Because the file is raw data, it is normally not linked to u-boot code.
I mean, you can convert the data in a C-array and link it to the
bootloader, but is it worth ?

The same issue is for images used as splashscreen in u-boot, in some
case quite huge (but not so big as yours). They are often saved in
different areas (or after the bootloader), but not linked together.

You could easier concatenate u-boot and your waveform data in a single
file using "cat", padding bytes if you need to reserve some areas, and
probably you reach easier the same goal, if you want only to deliver a
single file containing both bootloader and data.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de