[U-Boot] gcc optimizing option cause printf() and others crash.why?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Jul 30 16:30:04 CEST 2010

Hi yaojin liu <lanmanck at gmail.com> writes:

> I use arm-2009q1-203-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz to
> compile uboot1.3.4, and found that if I set OPTFLAGS to -O1,or O2, uboot
> will crash, usually in printf().

<faq>

What board do you use?  Why do you use U-Boot 1.3.4 and not current code?

</faq>

> when i set to O3, it runs to prompt, but after several seconds(or minutes),
> the code is dead,and the console has no response.
> Os also has the problem,usually cannot run to main_loop().
> How should i resolve this problem?

Actually I presume that somebody tested U-Boot on the board you use.
Probably there is a running version on it - so the most obvious problem
seems to be your toolchain.  So my advise is:

Find a working starting point, i.e. a known to work U-Boot version for
your board (latest?) together with a known-to-work toolchain (eldk-4.2
for arm?).

Then use your toolchain, compare results, find problem and post answer
:)

Cheers
  Detlev

--
There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and
those who can't.