[U-Boot] mtdparts: add bad-block skipping

Ben Gardiner bengardiner at nanometrics.ca
Wed Jun 2 07:08:03 CEST 2010

Dear Wolfgang Denk,

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Has this been tested on NOR flash devices, too?

No, I'm sorry it hasn't -- but I'm glad you asked. On a closer look I
think the changes in this patch series could result in the dereference
of a null pointer when using a NOR flash device. The features are
centered around calls to mtd->block_isbad() and I don't think this
function pointer is set for NOR flash devices. I will add
'if(mtd->block_isbad())' checks to the code to prevent the potential
dereference of a null pointer and resubmit.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Can we have a configuration that is neutral to the memory footprint
> for such boards that don't want to use any of the new features? It
> seems the patches always add ~ 200 bytes to the code size (on
> PowerPC).

Yes, absolutely. I think that it is patch 2/4 which does not have the
surrounding ifdefs of the other patches. I will make the changes in
that patch conditional on a CONFIG_ define and resubmit shortly.

I was supposed to double check the image sizes before and after the
patch -- as is directed in your wiki instructions, sorry for the
omission. I will include a summary of the size differences in powerpc
images with the resubmission of this patch series -- along with a
'./MAKEALL powerpc' output -- also as directed in your wiki
instructions.

Best Regards,

Ben Gardiner

---