[U-Boot] Linking script image into u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jun 4 17:45:54 CEST 2010

Dear Mark Fanara,

In message <AANLkTinoltaKvYMrmEcgTlPSSizwYnuTTnPWfs7NUD2O at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Is it possible to create a script, convert it to an image, and then
> link that image into u-boot? The goal of which would be to have a
> script that could be executed without having to download it. I have
> searched the manual and the mailing list and the source code, but
> don't see an obvious way to do this.

This is possible.

> As an alternative, I could convert the bytes in the image file to an
> initialized char array in a .c file. That .c file could then be
> compiled and linked with u-boot.  I assume that at runtime I could use
> the source command with the address of the char array as an argument
> to run the script.

This is possible, too.

But why do you consider such complicated approaches when you can
simply concatenate the images (eventually with a little padding so
they remain aligned to sector boundaries)?  Standard tools like "cat"
and "dd" are your friends...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
f u cn rd ths, itn tyg h myxbl cd.